First semester ends

5 comments
Unbelievably I finished the first semester.

Final exams were as mickey mouse as the mid-terms. The major workload on which the marks will depend will be the big assignments, like the PowerPoint presentations, the 2-man groupwork, the 4-man groupwork. Our job is to present visible results that look like we can put what we have been taught into action and concrete results, and that we can work with others. Somehow I have managed to work with others, although this is still the greatest challenge I will have to overcome next semester and next year.

I think I passed everything although we won't get our marks until Jan 6. Now we have 3 blessed weeks of rest with classes starting again on Jan. 11.

I discovered that working with my fellow students is not so much just the difference in years (I am older than the President of the college) it's a difference in life experience, hormonal direction and life purpose.

The young, normal-aged students are not just here to learn a profession. Unbeknownst to them they are also seeking out life partners, both lovers and friends, who will be the basis for their future social lives. They are required to choose people to work with in groups, but their first priority is not accomplishing the assignment, it is being in fun company who is totally on their wavelength. Somehow with fun company they will accomplish the assignments.

There is nowhere on earth that I have a hope of being chosen as fun company. I think my last chance with them was around the age of 5. That's the time when kids with that many years between us think people my age are fun company. In spite of the fact that I have shown I am "cool", and pretty much on board with their culture and interests, I am exactly the kind of person they now want to avoid.

They don't want an adult hanging around them, they want to be free, naughty and bad. They want to break rules. They want to be responsible on their terms and to their rhythm. They want to be horny to their heart's content. No matter how "cool" I am, no matter that baby boomers invented adolescent rebellion, there is no way they can be that with anyone who reminds them of their teachers, parents or grandparents. Nor do I want to deal with their issues with these people, I have my own issues with these people too.

I had hoped to join one of the 35 social clubs the Students' Union has going but what with the part-time and our extreme 6 course semesters there just isn't time.

Next term I realize that we will have 3 classes starting at 8:00 AM. Oh, the horror.

Prof Gerard's idea for solving the groupwork problem was picking the brightest and best to partner with. Yeah, but everyone now, for the reasons above, has their permanent groups. Their pals, their lovers, or their wanna-be lovers. I can't depend just on Joanne for the next year and a half. I have no idea if Carol will be there. So more challenges ahead.

Oh yeah, did I mention that the college association and faculty union's contract talks have broken down. The faculty union has a strike vote scheduled for Jan. 13.
If you like this post, please share it!
Digg it StumbleUpon del.icio.us Google Yahoo! reddit

5 Response to First semester ends

December 30, 2009 at 12:27 PM

(In my best boyz in da hood delivery):

DAMN!

You intelligent, gurl. I don't know how large the student population is but beware of painting with a broad brush. I'm sure there is some, maybe several young students that don't fit the profile you've described. You just have to seek out the extreme ends of the bell curve. I understand that you are really, really busy and don't have that much time to study and observe your fellow students but there must be some folks that will fit the bill for you.

January 1, 2010 at 12:57 PM

When you least expect it, something delightful will happen... :)

Anonymous
January 2, 2010 at 9:49 AM

As I have said many times before, I admire your ambition and stamina. Hang in there Ms. K.

B.

Anonymous
January 2, 2010 at 10:02 AM

By the way, I never blogged anyone before. You are my first! I have decided to refer to myself as Ms. S. instead of B. Makes more sense, eh, Ms. K?

Ms. S. (a.k.a. "B.")

January 6, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Thank you guys.

I am speaking honestly, from my own experiences and giving credit where credit is due, Lionel. The people you speak of may be out there, but, except for whom I mentioned, I haven't met them - yet.

It's possible some relationships may change and grow and I will have a different experience in the future. It's possible I have much to learn. We shall see.

Post a Comment